Ukulele Starter Pack

When starting a new hobby, it is really easy to spend an inordinate amount of money and end up with all the gear but no idea. Thankfully the ukulele is a relatively cheap hobby to get started with. I thought I'd put together a list of items that may be useful to purchase in the first few months of playing. You don't need all of the items but they may be useful as you start exploring the ukulele. Most items can be found for a few pounds online and some are free!!

Ukulele

Of course, all you really need is a ukulele. There’s no need to break the bank with your first ukulele. For tips on choosing a ukulele, take a look at my recent blog post – linked here!

Chord References

The next item I suggest finding is a set of chord diagrams. There are many books you can buy and other online resources. My favourite chord reference sheet is by Ukuchord. This is the most comprehensive and easy to follow set I have found. It is also available for standard ukulele tuning (GCEA) and baritone ukulele tuning (DGBE).

Click here for the standard sheet (GCEA)

Click here for the baritone sheet (DGBE)

Strings

It’s a good idea to have a spare set of stings on hand for any unexpected breakages. I usually use Aquila strings. These are usually sold in music shops and are available online. Make sure that you buy the strings that are specifically for the size of ukulele you own.
String Winder

String Winder

To accompany your strings, you may need a string winder. When putting on new strings, this tool can be used to rotate the ukulele’s tuning pegs, so the strings are tightened with ease. These are available in music shops and online for only a couple of pounds.




Capo

Capo

A capo changes the key of a song as you move it along the fretboard, without having to change the chord shapes. There are a number of tutorials that suggest using a capo so this purchase may be helpful when you explore more online resources.





Wearing hook strap

Strap

I find a strap most useful for the larger instruments in the ukulele family (tenor/baritone) as they help support the weight of the ukulele. This allows your hand to move freely along the fret board. My favourite type of strap is the type that hook into the sound hole.

Stand/case

The next item to consider purchasing revolves around where you will keep your ukulele – on a stand or in a case. I always keep my ukuleles on a stand so that they are easy to simply pick up and play. However, for some people it may be easier to keep them away from excitable animals or children in a case. I usually go for a soft ukulele bag to help reduce the storage space required.

Tuner

Clip on Tuner
The final item that you may have use for is a tuner. I have one that clips onto the instrument and then tells me if the instrument is in tune. However I usually find that using a piano at home or an app is most convenient (I usually manage to lose the clip on). There are plenty of free apps for your phone that do the same job as the clip on tuner and most of these are free. I use an app called Ukulele Tuner. This can be used for all types of ukulele.











Comments

Popular Posts