Buying the Right Uke for You

Recently I've been looking for a new ukulele to add to my ukulele family and I had forgotten how confusing the whole process can be. Here's a few simple tricks to make sure you chose the right ukulele for you:

1. Research

Hobgoblin Music Shop Bristol
There are so many resources to help you make your decision. Before you physically go to a music shop, it's important to use the internet to see what's available and at what price. It is also a good time to look into the different sizes of ukulele to see which will be the most suitable for you. For my research, I started with Duke of Uke as they had the best selection I could find and had useful information about each instrument. Unfortunately, I was unable to travel to London to purchase my new uke (I hope to in the future) but it was a good place to start the process. Additionally, YouTube and Instagram have useful videos to give you an idea of how each instrument sounds. The Southern Ukulele Store YouTube channel has a range of demo videos I recommend taking a look at. 

2. Set a Budget.

Once you understand what's available, it's important to set a budget. When you do visit a shop, you are able to ask for their availability within that price range rather than comparing two ukuleles in completely different price ranges.

3. Contact the Music/Ukulele Shop.

Hobgoblin Music Shop Bristol
The best bit of advice I can give you is to contact the shop you intend to visit so can establish what they have in stock. You can use this information to further research their stock and perhaps ask for a recommendation. Before I went ukulele shopping, I pretty much knew which ukulele I was having just from a simple phone call. You may also want to enquire when their quietest times are or give the shop a heads up as to when they should expect your visit. Additionally, making the contact before your visit shows the seller that you're serious about a purchase which may help with your in-store experience.  

4. Play the instrument

My favourite part of the process is going to the shop and trying a few ukuleles. I recommend you to play a selection of ukuleles within a certain price range to compare both the way they feel and the way they sound to get the right fit for you. When choosing my last purchase, I had a selection of four or five ukuleles to play and rule out by a process of elimination. 

5. Enjoy Your New Uke

Comments

Popular Posts